Wednesday, October 26, 2016

My Lady Jane

I decided to read this one because of all the buzz even though the reviews had it pegged as high school, and I am so glad I did.  I adored this book!  It's a delightful combination of Monty Python and the Holy Grail and The Princess Bride with shape-shifting magic thrown in.  Also, I will purchase it for my middle school library.  I think it's fine for 8th grade and up.

If you think you know all there is to know about Lady Jane Grey, the nine days queen, you are so wrong!  Jane is the friend and cousin of King Edward, who is dying.  He doesn't want to leave the kingdom to his sister Mary, a religious fanatic who will kill all those in the kingdom with the ability to take animal form.  He's also not too sure about his sister, Bess.  Would she make a good ruler?  She is a woman after all, and everyone knows rulers should be men.

The solution, according to Edward's trusted advisor, Lord Dudley, is to leave the kingdom to Jane who will marry Dudley's son and produce a male heir who will then become the king as soon as he comes of age.  But, of course, nothing goes as planned.

My Lady Jane is clever, funny, romantic, and full of references and clues.  I won't write much about the plot because I think it's better to discover it as you go along.  The story is told from multiple perspectives which only adds to the humor and dramatic irony.  More sophisticated readers will enjoy getting all the in-jokes.  Others will just enjoy the ride!


No comments:

Post a Comment