Friday, January 26, 2018

Top Books of 2017

So...I'm a little tardy in posting my yearly roundup, but I had to indulge in a much-needed break from middle school books for a few weeks over the school break.  Of course, I recommend everything on the Lone Star List, and there will be some overlap on my personal best list.  Did I mention I'm on the committee?  My first year was a wonderful if challenging experience!  This is pretty much how I spent 2017:


via GIPHY

So, let's get down to the analysis.  Once again, I want to mention how much I love using Goodreads as a personal catalog.  Plus, their tools make this end of the year post much easier than it would be otherwise.

I had an all-time reading high for 2017 with 149 books total with a pretty big boost in October as I struggled to finish the last 20 Lone Star nominees by the end of the month.  I even postponed watching season 2 of Stranger Things.  Now that's dedication!

Here's the breakdown of ratings.

5 stars:  32 books

4 stars:  66 books

3 stars:  42 books

2 stars:  6 books

I rarely have one-star books anymore because I just don't make it to the end.  There are two books this year I didn't give a star rating because I didn't finish them.

Here's the genre breakdown.  This is always fun and a little revealing but not very surprising.  There are always a few crickets in the sports section.  Also, I always have overlap in my genre tagging even if I can't really do it when shelving in the library, so don't expect the numbers to add up!

Adventure:  11 books

Classics:  0 books (Yikes! That's what happens when you are focusing on new books for a reading committee.)

Fantasy:  30 books

Historical Fiction:  18 books

Horror:  6 books

Humor:  8 books

Mystery:  22 books

Realistic Fiction:  33 books (That is a surprise.  Usually fantasy is a little higher than realistic.)

Romance:  15 books

Science Fiction:  15 books

Sports:  3 books

Nonfiction:  6 (Holy Hannah!  That's embarrassing.)

Now, we've got that out of the way, here are my favorite books of 2017.  These are my true love (middle school) books in no particular order out of the total 149.  The book covers link back to my original reviews with links to author web pages, videos, and extended comments.  Also, I'm not going to narrow it down to 10 because I don't want to!

A note on my grade level recommendations:  When I say 6th and up, you could probably go lower.  7th and up means there was nothing objectionable, but the book might be more sophisticated or thematically suited to older readers.  8th and up means PG13 in my library.



via GIPHY

Frogkisser! by Garth Nix is a delightful fairy tale romp.  Any fantasy fan will enjoy this one, but fairy tale aficionados will thrill in picking up all the twisted allusions to the original stories.  (Snow White is one my favorites!)  I love the cover!  I love the exclamation mark!  I love this book! (grades 6 and up)








Neal Shusterman is just a great writer.  I didn't think it could get better than the Unwind series, but Scythe is amazing!  It's a tale of power, corruption, and the value of human life.  It's a true mark of the author's prowess that a necessarily bloody tale is about more than violence.  Seriously, you should just read it!  (grades 8 and up)







Well, That Was Awkward is a humorous and touching version of Cyrano de Bergerac for the middle school set. One day out of the blue, Gracie suddenly has a terrible crush on her friend, A.J, but A.J. has feelings for Gracie's best friend, Sienna.  What's a girl to do?  Especially if her best friend likes A.J. but is too nervous to talk to him.  What could it hurt to help Sienna out with her texts a little?  This book is perfectly middle school! (Grades 7 and up)






When Wren's drinking and drug use become more than her parents can take, they send her to a wilderness camp in the Utah desert.  Wren is so angry with her parents for this betrayal that it takes time for her to calm down and really start to understand what led her to this point.  Van Draanen does an excellent job of writing an honest book about drug and alcohol abuse without all the gory details of other books on this topic.  (Grades 7 and up)






When Arianwyn fails her final witch's assessment, she is sent in disgrace to the sleepy town of Lull to wait and practice until she can try again, but it doesn't take long before she realizes something dark is creeping into Lull and she will have to protect the people of her new home with her limited skills.  The book is a perfect fit for magic and fantasy fans.  I've been recommending it to my Harry Potter kids since I read it in the summer.  (Grades 6 and up)






This is a thrilling sci-fi adventure with thrills, plot twists, aliens, sabotage, and a ticking clock on total annihilation!   I loved this one! (Grades 6 and up)





I loved this book!  Spider-man action with a villain who is institutionalized racism personified?  I would expect nothing less from the incomparable Jason Reynolds! Plus, it's Marvel, so it's squeaky clean. (Grades 6 and up)









Ok, I know I said I wasn't going to play favorites, but I lied because this is my absolute favorite of the year.  I devoured this book!  It's Firefly meets Doctor Who, and it's pretty much like Ryan Graudin wrote this book just for me!  Start reading now, sci-fi people! (Grades 7 and up)








Everyone thinks Jade needs to get out of her poor neighborhood to succeed, and she's trying.  She has a scholarship to a fancy private school and takes advantage of every opportunity she can, but sometimes she thinks people don't see all the good in her community.  When her school counselor gets her involved in a mentoring program, it's a catalyst for Jade and the people around her.  This is such a great book about self-respect and self-confidence. (grades 7 and up)





This is an unusual little gem of a book.  Crow has lived her entire life on a tiny island off the coast of New England with her adoptive father who pulled her from the sea when she washed up in a boat as a baby.  She loves her life, but she can't help but wonder where she came from.  I loved this surprising and sweet story of love, heartbreak, and family. (Grades 6 and up)







I'm a sucker for a good fairy tale retelling, but I've read so many you really have to bring something new to the game to get my attention.  This dark and brooding version of Beauty and the Beast where Beauty is a deadly hunter is perfect.  All the classic tropes of the story are there, but this beauty has intelligence and strength.  She's no cowering girl.  (Grades 7 and up)







Who doesn't love a good space opera?  I know I do.  This is a great sci-fi adventure with a vast empire, an assassination attempt, and the future of reality tv, but it's also a meditation on the ignorant assumptions and inherent racism that runs through many facets of life here in reality. (Grades 7 and up)








Emika Chen is young and poor.  She makes a meager living as a bounty hunter, but she's about to be evicted when she gets swept up into the high profile world of Warcross, the most popular game in the world.  But she isn't sure who to trust especially when she starts to lose her heart.  This is a fun and fast-paced read with a gorgeous cover! (Grades 8 and up)







This book is just the most fun reading experience I had all year.  Doreen Green is like any other fourteen-year-old girl, except for the big bushy tail and her squirrel powers of course!  When a new danger threatens and the squirrels and then the humans, Doreen will use her optimism and determination to save the day!  Squirrel Girl's optimism is the thing I love most about her.  This is a fun read for all ages!






And now for some nonfiction!


via GIPHY

I was just as surprised as you probably are at how much I enjoyed this book.  Hopkinson weaves a narrative thread by connected men and ships so there is a sense of continuity, but you could also just open to any page, read a chapter, and enjoy it.  Anyone who enjoys a war story will dive right into this one!








I'm not sure how many kids would enjoy this book.  You have to be interested in the development of Bonhoeffer's faith because this takes up a large part of the beginning of the book, but you need that background to truly understand his moral dilemma.  I'm still thinking about this one months later.









And now for a few graphic novels! (I couldn't find a good GIF for this one, so just enjoy this enthusiastic kid.)



via GIPHY

Many of you know how much I love the Lunar Chronicles, but I was skeptical about a graphic novel continuation of the story.  I am pleased to say I was wrong.  I absolutely loved the beginning of this sequel series.  With Iko as hero, the author can explore the relationships from a different perspective and explore themes of humanity and prejudice.







This graphic memoir chronicles Shannon Hale's struggles to find real and meaningful friendships in her elementary and middle school years.  She is honest about the pain of rejection as well as her own actions that hurt other people.  Recommended for everyone!









With so many new books to read, I really have to be excited about a story to continue reading the sequels.  I have two favorite series to recommend this year, and if you've been following my blog for long, you've probably seen them before.



via GIPHY

Lockwood and Co. is one of my absolute favorite series.  These are ghost stories with a Dickensian flair plus an ongoing storyline that's been building to this last book.  What is the underlying cause of the problem?  Will Lockwood and Lucy every be honest with each about their feelings?  Never fear, reader, all your questions will be answered in classic style with plenty of malevolent spirits along the way.  I also love that the characters are more settled in themselves and their relationships.  Thanks for the memories, Johnathan Stroud.





This is the fourth volume in Stuart Gibbs's FunJungle series, and it hasn't lost any of its charm.  Teddy and company are still delightfully precocious.  The jokes are on point, the mystery of the missing panda is solid, the animals are wonderful, and the potty humor strikes just the right note for a middle school series.  These books are just perfect for middle school and delightful for anyone with a good sense of humor!







And...there you have it.  These are some of my favorite books from 2017.  I'm sure 2018 will hold just as many literary delights!  Also, these are just my middle school favorite.  Click on the Goodreads widget on the right to connect with me there and see all the books.

My goal is to get as many great books into the hands and minds of kids as possible, so I hope you will find something here for the children in your own life to enjoy.  Happy reading!



via GIPHY

No comments:

Post a Comment